Sunday, September 1, 2019

My D100 System



This coming friday, our regular Dungeon Master, AJ (who runs a great game and stepped up when I had to take a break) will be out of town. I volunteered to run a short adventure. I haven't run anything since April, so I'm hoping it goes well (even after almost 30 years as a DM, I still get butterflies).

At the moment, I'm trying to decide if I want to us the D100 rules I've been working on.

First you need a character sheet, Basic Role Play or Call of Cthulhu will work.

The way the rules work is that the Game Master sets the difficulty of a task, generally 30%, 50%, or 70% which is then modified by the Character's bonus, if any, in the appropriate Skill.  

Let's say I have the Spot Hidden skill at +10% and I'm looking around a darkened room. The difficulty is 20% which is added to my Spot Hidden skill of +10% for a total of 30%.  

Another example is that I'm trying to punch a cultist, the difficulty is 50% and my Brawl skill of +20% is added together for a total of 70%.  Doubles are critical failures or successes. I'm anxious to try this out because I like Percentile systems but am often unhappy with the default values of certain Skills.

Character creation would involve choosing 5 Skills with a +10% bonus, 4 Skills with a +15% bonus, 3 Skills with a +20% bonus, 2 Skills with a +25% bonus, and 1 Skill with a +30% Bonus (this was inspired by an option in the excellent Mythras Companion).

At the moment, I'm not using Characteristics so Hit Points would be equal to 12 + 1d6. While Sanity is equal to 40 + 4d10.

I'm really anxious to try this out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There is a great new forum for discussing system rules:

https://discuss.tabletop.design

This recaptcha and proving to not be a robot is ridiculous ,)

Scott Anderson said...

Does it need to be d100? Can it be d20?

Also I’m totally not a robot.

Cross Planes said...

It could easily be a d20. Just divide everything by 5.

Monstrous Monday: The Mindless for Dungeon Crawl Classics

The Third Wizard War was fought by Arkus Dweom against the clone of Flenss the Creeping Black and both mages unleashed dooms that still haun...